Sunday, May 25, 2014

Saints: Role Models for Men- The Introduction

So, for the summer, I wanted to plan out another series of blog posts that can be put up once a week on a set basis throughout the summer. One such topic that I could readily write about with enthusiasm is manly saints. That is to say, saints who are men and role models of masculinity. On my plane ride home from the Northwest, which was on a Monday, I even chuckled to myself at the idea of posting new additions to the series on Mondays in connection with the social media craze Man Crush Monday.

I think it's important to recognize saints who are true models of manhood. Often times when people think of saints, they automatically come up with names like St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Cecelia, St. Gianna, Blessed Teresa of Calcutta or even the Blessed Virgin Mary. There is nothing wrong with thinking of these holy women, but men cannot connect with them the way that women do just as women cannot connect with male saints like men can.

When people define a living person as a "saint", they define that person as being sweet, caring, and giving. While all of these words are good things for men to live up to, at the same time they're not the kind of words that inspire man to grow in masculinity and toughness. I think we also need to move away from the idea that being a manly saint is close to being like the guys in the Boondock Saints movies.

Sorry boys, the Cristeros and others already did the Catholic gunslinger thing long before you came along.

So, today's post is pretty brief, since this is just quick intro to the idea of the series for the summer. You can still expect other posts to be put up in between this Saints series. Please know that a lot of these saints that I am mentioning are personal role models for me with traits that I aspire to attain. Also, I will probably be mentioning Blesseds in this series as well. Blessed men and women are recognized in the Catholic Church as holy role models and people in Heaven, but have not had as many validated miraculous intercessions as recognized saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment